Thursday, March 13, 2014

Our God Story!

After visiting Darren's orphanage in November 2012 I was changed. I couldn't just go on with life and forget ALL those faces. 

After hearing Darren tell me time and time and time AGAIN
"mama - I missed you in China"
"mama - I didn't have a mama in China"
I just COULDN'T turn my back and not give another little one a mama, a baba, and a family

We had fallen in LOVE with Darren after seeing him on Sonia's blog. I wondered if we would know RIGHT AWAY when we saw our new little one's face.

Over the last year I have looked at hundreds of little faces on the computer screen. I have requested quite a few files. 

A few times I have wondered "Is he the one?" or "Is she the one?" 
I just knew that once Erik saw his child he would know....and at that point all the files I showed to Erik didn't seem to be "the one".

In November 2013 I looked at the file of a little boy. I noticed that he was from the same orphanage as Darren. I then asked our American volunteer friend Tammy to see if she could find this "Tommy" and tell me her thoughts.

She couldn't find Tommy. Then she messaged that there was a new little boy that had been moved into the room where she volunteers. When she asked the kids in the room they said his name and it sounded like Tommy's name. He had leg issues like Tommy and he was about the right age.


She sent me this picture and asked if I thought this might be Tommy?
(Isn't that a sad little face!)

She said the room wasn't a good fit for him AT ALL. The kids in the room are much older than he is and not very nice to him :(

I only had baby pictures of Tommy...and thought the picture she sent did favor him. 

A few days later she messaged that the above little boy wasn't Tommy, but she had found Tommy.
 We gathered about a dozen questions for her to ask the nannies about Tommy and waited. When she got back to us the answers were not what we hoped. He was doing a lot worse than the file described and we learned that his needs require constant care beyond what our family is capable of providing at this time.  Sadly, he wasn't our son.

I couldn't get the little sad faced boy (who wasn't Tommy) out of my mind so I asked Tammy "Is that little guy paper ready? Does he have a family?"

She said "I hoped you would ask...I even took a few pictures for you last week"


Tammy asked the orphanage and discovered that he was paper ready, but did not have an adoptive family.


We gathered questions for Tammy to ask the nannies and then set to finding his file.

THANKFULLY he was on the shared list!
(A list of about 2000 kids that are currently not assigned to a specific adoption agency)

TWO agencies had once had his file, but neither could find a family for this little guy!

Our agency requested his file....we had FOUR doctors review his file....Tammy got back to us with LOTS of answers, more pictures, and MANY videos. 

We PRAYED and PRAYED and PRAYED!!

One day while praying "God please lead us, please show us what to do...should we adopt this little guy?" I turned on the radio to hear the song "Live Like That" by Sidewalk Prophets and felt God directly speaking to ME!

We decided to take that LEAP OF FAITH and say yes to "our caboose".

Our little guy was a misfit for that orphanage room - but we believe that God placed him there so Tammy would find him. So she would get him confused with Tommy. So we would become his FOREVER FAMILY!

As Tammy says "Two confused women...and one little boy finds a family!"

I have been asked "How did you find this little boy" and I have to answer "God led us to him!"

Since saying "yes" we have had another ONLY GOD story. 

Tammy takes pictures and videos for multiple families adopting from the orphanage where she volunteers. She usually "tags" the family so they can see the video. I have noticed the names...Tiffany, Joanne etc., but I haven't really paid much attention. A couple of weeks ago a friend at church sent an email to a few families, including ours, to introduce us as we were all adopting from China. A few days later as I was looking back through my email I noticed one of the names was TIFFANY! I quickly looked at Tammy's videos and then back at this name...they were THE SAME! 

Tiffany and her family attend THE SAME church as our family! we have pictures and video of our kids TOGETHER!! How is that even POSSIBLE?! And we attend a mega-church. The chances that we connected are slim at best.

Tiffany and her family are traveling this week to China to meet their daughter. When they visit the orphanage they offered to bring a gift to our "little caboose"! Tammy said the big kids in his sleeping room will just take the toy/item away from him, so we have decided not to send anything at this point.

If Tiffany and her family have a chance to see our little guy they are going to PRAY over him for us!! What a GIFT to him AND to us!!

Just like Darren has an orphanage buddy to visit now our "little caboose" will also have a orphanage buddy!! How AMAZING and COOL is that?! ONLY GOD!!

Blessings, Sandy

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you guys and your caboose!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your newest blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful God inspired story for sure! Very excited and happy for you all. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete