Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday


Today we toured the Six Banyan Tree Temple


Budda


It is an actual temple with people coming and going and worshiping all around us.


Chinese writing that says "Six Banyan Tree Temple"

Before 1949 Chinese writing was read right to left.
(Now it is read left to right!)


Before 1949 it was also read top to bottom and then right to left.
(Now it is read horizontally - as in across the page, not up and down)


It is really a beautiful temple - and was a beautiful warm day to walk around and learn more about Jin Hua Bryan's culture.


Then we headed to Shamian Island for some more shopping and picture taking.

We enjoyed lunch at Lucy's again - as Rhiana was looking forward to the grilled cheese sandwich!


It is such a gorgeous place. I just love strolling around - enjoying the sights, sounds, and scenery.


Most adoptive families who visit Shamian Island take their child's photo with this statue.


Doesn't Jin Hua Bryan look so cute lined up with the little kids?!


Jinhua Bryan LOVES his stroller! When he has decided he is ready to leave the hotel room he climbs right in it (how is that for charades?!). He sits in it contently for an amazingly long time - or at least compared with Darren!



Notice anything WRONG with this picture? Our window ON THE 8th FLOOR OPENS!!

It opens about 8" wide!

The housekeeping staff will open it for fresh air! WHAT?!


There is no way to lock the window.....and it is ALL that keeps it from opening wider!!


When in China....do as the Chinese and hang your laundry!

Ours is hung *inside* unlike the MILLIONS of pieces of laundry we have viewed this week hanging at every height imaginable!


The room safe - LOVE! Peace of mind when you have to travel with WAY too much money!



Last time we traveled to China our group visited the whole sale Pearl and Jade Markets. It was neat, but I didn't even consider buying anything. I am not really a jewelry person and money is tight.

*Everywhere* you go in China you see women wearing jade bangle bracelets. It is a very old tradition:  Many Chinese parents give their sons and daughters jade bracelets because they believe the jade bracelet will protect them. Jade also reminds the young adults of their parents eternal love.
Many Chinese parents give their daughters and sons jade bracelets because they believe the jade bracelet will protect them. In addition, the jade reminds the young adults of their parents’ eternal love and protection

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6644504_meaning-chinese-jade-bracelet_.html
Many Chinese parents give their daughters and sons jade bracelets because they believe the jade bracelet will protect them. In addition, the jade reminds the young adults of their parents’ eternal love and protection

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6644504_meaning-chinese-jade-bracelet_.html

In preparing to travel to China I decided if I could find a jade bracelet that wasn't too expensive I would like to honor TWO of my son's heritage and country by purchasing a jade bracelet.

We saw *many* beautiful jade bracelets for $200-$300 and up into the thousands - with beautiful colors and very few imperfections. I told my guide that I could spend $50. I knew my bracelet wouldn't be perfect - but it doesn't need to be.

I was able to choose from a few bracelets - some very white in color and others very dark (they reminded me of a granite counter top)....and then I saw this light/medium bracelet. It does have some dark veins/spots (no idea what this is really called - remember I am not a jewelry person!) and also some tan color in it - but it was $50 and just right for me!

OH MY OH  MY!!

Did I mention HOW they get this on your wrist? Did I mention that it is not suppose to come off without great effort? As in - you wear it for years? Or at least weeks/months?

They put a plastic bag on my hand - told me to relax and TWO PEOPLE pushed it on!

When it was 3/4 of the way on - my guide decided maybe it was too tight....but the ladies were *determined* to make it fit (make the sale?) so they both pushed AND my guide started pushing it back off! ALL of them chattering in Chinese in a rapid tone as well as my guide saying "too tight, not good, no" in English! Rhiana and I just sat in stunned silence not sure WHAT to do.....and then the bracelet was on!

WOW - what an experience - what a crazy story to tell!

When Rhiana and I move it up my wrist towards my hand we have NO idea how it fit on - so apparently it WILL be there a while :)

/Blessings from China! Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment