Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas!

We had a WONDERFUL Christmas!!

Bryan did really well on Christmas! He had fun opening his gifts and playing with his new toys. I wondered if he would get overwhelmed or stressed with all the excitement, but he didn't. My mom even commented how calm and happy the kids seemed :)


Bryan got a batman costume!


His favorite gifts were wooden blocks (he couldn't stop long enough for a picture with Darren!) and a tricycle that my mom adapted for him.


(Skyping with XinLi)

WE GOT TO SKYPE WITH BRYAN'S ORPHANAGE FRIEND!!!

She is part of an orphan hosting program and spending the month of December with a family in Florida!

A LOT of the pictures we received of Bryan from China included a little girl.

Today we got to "MEET HER"!!

She is such a sweetie and doing really well adjusting to life in a family.

BUT.....Bryan wanted nothing to do with her :(

He wouldn't say "Ni Hao"

When I asked "Is this your friend"....Bryan would respond "no" :(

 He wanted to crawl away into another room.
When I bribed him (with candy) to stay he started to cry :(

In the end Bryan played Legos in front of the computer while I visited with his friend and her host family.

I was surprised. I thought he would be excited to see/talk to her! I thought (and still think) that a lot of his grieving was because he missed his friend.

Darren had a similar reaction/experience with his orphanage buddy. It took them MONTHS to warm up to each other. I can only think that our boys have put their pasts behind them. For some reason they have to move on/move forward to emotionally heal and adjust to their new lives. I am guessing that seeing someone from their past just hits too close to home. Until some time has passed and they feel fully comfortable/adjusted in their new lives they are unable to allow that connection/enjoy that link to their past.

We plan on trying to skype a time or two more before she heads back to China.

I hope our next "visit" goes better!

Blessings, Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment